The ArtsBot Kitchen Activity: Make Rainbow Donuts
Mom and Artist, Emily and her daughter share how to make a Rainbow Donuts.
All you need are:
💚 donut trays
💚 zip closure bags for every color
💚 food coloring
💚 a large mixing bowl
💚 a mixer
💚 measuring cups
💚 measuring spoons
💚 baking soda
Check out the recipe below!
RAINBOW DONUTS—Makes 12 Donuts
1 and 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
3/4 cup White Sugar
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Salt
3/4 cup Milk or Milk Alternative
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
2 Tbsp Applesauce
5 Tbsp Butter or Butter Alternative (Melted)
Food coloring (3 colors)
(Preheat the oven to 350°F. Prepare two donut trays by spraying with non-stick spray. )
- Measure all dry Ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, salt) into the mixer. Mix together for a few seconds.
- Measure out all the wet ingredients (milk, vanilla, applesauce, butter) and add into the mixer. Mix on medium until batter is smooth.
- Separate the batter into 3 separate bowls. Each bowl is for a different color batter. Squirt a few drops of food coloring into each bowl and mix together.
- Place each of the 3 colored batters into its own plastic bag. Cut a tiny bit off one of the bottom corners of the bag. Squeeze the batter through that hole, one color at a time into the donut trays.
Bake for 15 minutes until lightly browned on top.
Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before moving the donuts to a cooling rack.
a cooling rack.
Allow to cool completely before putting the icing on.
For Chocolate Icing:
1 cup Chocolate Chips or Vegan Chocolate Chips
Instructions for Icing:
- Measure out the chocolate chips and place them in a microwave safe bowl.
- Put in the microwave for 30 second intervals until completely melted.
- Stir the chocolate so it is all smooth.
- Dip the donuts into the melted chocolate and then place onto a plate.
- Cover with sprinkles!